In Stories

Kiss of Death!

Dharmendra Trivedi

Victim’s background: Dharmendra Trivedi lives in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. He has worked as a translator in the Gujarat Vidhan Sabha since 1991 and served the then CM Narendra Modi between 2009-2014. He is now a part of the team of the present CM Anandiben Patel. He is married to Shilpa Trivedi and  they have a 12 year old daughter,  Hirva.

Bite Incident: It was the 8th of July 2008. I was in a bit of a hurry to reach my office  when I  received a rescue call from an IAS Officer in my city, Gandhinagar-Gujarat. Along with a  fellow rescuer I reached the site and saw a big cobra trapped under a huge square cement block. At that time I was not aware that the cobra had been injured by the IAS officer’s family members. Nobody cared to intimate me. I lifted the block from the cobra’s body and it tried to slither behind a potted plant. As I tried to hold its tail it struck the back of my right hand with lightning speed. The snake struck so swiftly that even I wasn’t able to see it biting me. I just felt a slight prick.

After safely depositing the snake in a steel box, I rushed to the Civil Hospital. Immediately after the bite, I experienced severe burning sensation on the bitten area and the swelling started within 15 minutes of hospitalization. Amazingly, I was composed and my blood pressure was normal. There were no other symptoms of envenomation and I reached the Government Civil Hospital within ten minutes of the bite incident. Two vials of anti-venom were administered immediately on my arrival. The affected hand developed heavy swelling on the second day  which decreased after the 4th day. Finally I was relieved from the hospital on the fifth day. Totally five vials of anti-venom were used for my treatment.

 

necrosis

 

While I survived the bite,   on the first day of treatment an intern   rubbed the bite area due to her curiosity to see how a snake bite looks. This caused severe necrosis in the local area. I underwent surgery after 15 days to remove dead tissues. In the coming months I had to undergo skin grafting of the affected area. The tendon of my middle finger still feels sensitive to touch.

I’m sharing my story because my personal opinion is that  doctors need to be trained to handle such emergencies. The reality is that in most cases  doctors all over India are referring to manuals that are archaic and published decades ago. While science has progressed from that era, our medical journals and manuals  have not been updated. A venomous snake bite is a life threatening situation which can be treated successfully if the victim is lucky enough to get to a doctor with the right experience and knowledge. Why should such matters  be left to chance? Why can we not have trained doctors   to ensure that no  snakebite victim dies or suffers due to a medical goof-up?

 

Written by Dharmendra Trivedi.

6 Comments

  • Dr Dayal Bandhu Majumdar
    Apr 29, 2015 at 01:22 am

    Unfortunate to know that, doctors of Gujrat are also not trained enough to manage a Snakebite case. Here in West Bengal , we have an updated ” Training Module on Snakebite Management” for Medical Officers ( updated in 2015) . Anybody interested can collect a Soft copy from me.

    • Martin jaya pal
      May 03, 2015 at 03:25 pm

      hello doctor,
      I would also like to have a copy of this manual..

      Best regards,
      Martin
      9845073965
      Martin.jayapal03@gmail.com

    • Siddhesh Sapre
      May 03, 2015 at 09:41 pm

      I am a student of toxicology research and would like to have a soft copy of the Training module on Snakebite management. Thanks
      Regards,
      Siddhesh
      9004417207
      Email: virimmune210393@gmail.com

  • Dharmendra Trivedi
    May 03, 2015 at 02:25 pm

    THanks Sir . . . Please send me the SOFT COPY of the Manual . . .

  • jam
    May 03, 2015 at 03:37 pm

    Hi
    I appreciate you shared your story in great detail. I empathise with your incident and do really wish you a speedy recovery. I am afraid it didn’t sound right when you said you grabbed the tail so quickly, a hook and a little more time to tire him out would have avoided the bite in the first place. It’s important that rescuers must practice safe methods and avoid bad media. Also please confirm scientifically if cleaning and rubbing the bite site briefly can cause necrosis? Or is it caused by the venom Itself.

    Regards

  • Soham Mukherjee
    May 04, 2015 at 05:30 am

    Dear all,
    We have recently formulated a ‘State-wide Task Force for Snake-bite Management’ under the Ministry of Health, Govt. of Guj. The Task Force has developed post bite clinical guidelines based on Dr. Warrell’s guidelines that has been adapted locally for Guj. This will soon be a mandate for all docs in the state to follow. Necessary training will be organized where needed. For any further info, please feel free to write to me.

    Regards, Soham.

Leave a Reply to jam Cancel reply

Send Us Message

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>